Monday, July 30, 2012

playing a grown-up.

When I was little, I was lucky enough to spend time away from my parents and stay with my Auntie. In my child memory, it seemed like a week and more than once. In all actuality, I think it was a weekend, maybe two; then we moved to North Carolina when I was 7, so proximity made this challenging. Regardless, I hold these memories close to my heart- and always have. I remember hanging out at the lake in their neighborhood, going out to a fancy restaurant, and being groomed on the merits of happy hour everyday at 5 in the gazebo (don't worry, I had Shirley Temples and goldfish. But it all felt so grown up!). When little ones came into my life, I always knew I wanted to do something similar for them. Jasmine and Dylan were finally at the age where it seemed feasible for this happen, so the planning started last year.

Two tickets purchased in May. Countless phone calls to check in on the nerves and to take a temperature on how they were doing about the impending 5 hour flight from Atlanta to Seattle- alone. Books sent to Dylan so he could wrap his brain around the plane ride, and what to expect. They finally arrived on July 21st, sauntering off the plane like they were old pros. They did great on the flight, and had no issues whatsoever. They were here for 5 whole days, for me to enjoy all to myself and I was so excited!

Sunday we headed to the Zoo, after a lazy morning and homemade blueberry waffles. I took them to my p-patch so they could see the veggies growing. Sunday evening brought a few tears from Dylan, as he battled a headache. I think the excitement, plane ride, and jet lag caught up to him. But it was brief, and once sleep came, we were all fine. It was a little scary though, knowing that I had to be the one to handle the situation because there wasn't anyone else. Being a grown up, and responsible for another human, is scary!

Monday took us to the Pike Place Market and the Ballard Locks, and then to a baseball game that evening. Tuesday, I took them on their first hike at Rattlesnake Ledge- a good 4 mile round trip hike- and they loved it! I was so happy they enjoyed being out in nature and getting some exercise. They were rewarded for their hard work with delicious Molly Moon's ice cream. Wednesday  the weather was spectacular and hot, so we hit the Sculpture Park before going to Alki Beach. Our beaches are a bit different than others, rocky and craggy, and cold. Since they didn't venture into the cold water, we went to the neighborhood pool so they could get some swimming in. On our last day together, we took the ferry to Whidbey Island and played at Double Bluff Beach, soaking up the sunshine. 

 

A week seemed like a good long time for them to be here, but it went by so fast. They were so fun to be around- to hear their laughter and joy, to show them new things, and inquire about their lives and what they like. It was also exhausting! Kids require constant monitoring, entertaining, and caring for. They eat like little piglets and seem to grow by the minute. I have a new respect for parents and a new perspective. They are such smart, funny, sweet, inquisitive kiddos and I can't wait to see them again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment